Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Sound of Grass Growing

This week marks the arrival of the vernal equinox; for some of us, that means spring. Although, we are expecting snow on the vernal equinox,  I have been on my hands and knees cleaning the leaves left over from autumn. I could see the beginning of  flowers that will not bloom fully until summer. All of the plants were growing and pushing themselves into position for the warmth to come. I was impressed. But, this was also a call to arms. I have plants that I did not divide nor dig up in the fall that are already pushing themselves up and out. I am always a little behind on that sort of thing. Unfortunately, these are the plants that have the ability to spread without too much help from me. I am talking about tall grasses, like maiden grass. No, not short lawn grasses, like Kentuck Blue Grass, but tall grasses that are slowly overtaking everything.

I am not sure if this particular grass is an ornamental maiden grass and part of an invasive species. Because, I am in Illinois, we also have tall grasses that are native to the area. Grasses are particularly difficult to dig up, they have rhizomes that sends shoots laterally (hence, the squeeze on my other plants) and strong roots that prevent them from just being pulled up. This makes them particulary suited to this area, as in late summer we can go for weeks without rain. The strong root system keeps these plants alive.  No flowers or shrubs can stand in its way as it marches across my lawn. 
Maiden grass is beautiful and hardy. It comes in a variety of types and colors. Because it is a grass it can get very tall (three feet, at least); it seems to stretch several inches after each rain fall. At the end of last summer the grass was easily taller than the porch bannister and if I knew how to use a scythe it would have been easier to cut for the winter. It does very well in full sun, but does not seem to thrive as readily in the shadier parts of the lawn. It does not get bothered when it is very hot and we are in drought. It simply waits. Once the rain drenches it, the plant will grow exponentially. The other risk with this grass is that it will get very dry in between rain cycles and that can be a fire risk. Therefore, I am making the decision to dig up the grass that is directly in front of my wooden porch. I have another raised bed that has a grass plant in it that I will keep - for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment