Sunday, May 9, 2010

Search and Destroy

I have a problem with wasps in my house. This is my second spring in the house and this is the second spring that I have had problems. It started with just one wasp bumping around the kitchen on a warm day, deluding me into thinking that it came in the house when I opened a door. But every day there was at least one wasp in the house, until one day this spring there were four. That was enough. I killed them all, but not before noticing a wasp emerging from a recessed lighting fixture. It was enough to give me the willies. At that point, I knew I needed professional help.

This was an official search and destroy mission.

The intelligence gathering began as I spoke to the pest control expert. Did I see where they entered into the house? Do I hear buzzing in the walls? Because it wasn’t warm enough to check outside activity, it was decided that I cover the recessed lighting fixtures with painters tape. If the wasps entered from there, the tape will gather the evidence. In other words, I was looking for wasp remains on tape.

This is just day two of that experiment and there have been no wasps in the house. I am much calmer. But the hunt is on for the nest and it must be found. Boastful? No, I just can’t live with the alternative...cohabiting with wasps. This is just the beginning; reconnaissance on wasp habits will continue this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment